Tuesday, July 10, 2012

this. is. embarassing.

in order for you to truly understand just how big of an undertaking the overhaul of my childhood bedroom is... you must know that in cleaning today, i found my very official american girl historical club handbook anddd a homemade concert flyer from a very exclusive living room flute/piano duet concert with my little sister. im currently 27. something is not right. ive never been a big "spend a whole day purging my life of the no longer useful and end with half of the original belongings" cleaner. im more of the "take it all out of its current spot, organize it into categories, and stuff it randomly in a desk drawer, cabinet, under the bed" cleaner. which leads me to today. i plan to get the mother f out of here pretty soon for good [no offense, mom] and i would really really reallyyy rather spend that time doing my happy dance than sorting through this nonsense. so think of this is as the clean before the clean. and boy, did it need it. if you still dont agree with the process this all is, i have proof. the following pictures are in no way exaggerated for dramatic effect. this shit is as real as it gets. hence the post title: this. is. embarassing. in my defense, my house was one of those lucky miserable ones without power for the last week. that, plus the fact that ive been living out of a bag at my boyfriends for the last six months, spending every weekend at the beach, and working a summer job for the first time in years - makes this jungle just a teeny bit worse than its ever been. for my few loyal readers, i give you the before:




told you so. had to stand on my bed to get those aerial views for ya. so clearly i had my work cut out for me. today, i cleaned out and reorganized my desk, white dresser and the surrounding areas. i also cleaned out and reorganized my large dresser and hutch. i also cleaned out every single thing from under my bed and am happy to say - tossed most of it! im currently in the process of putting away all clothes, shoes and accessories to finish off the closet. tomorrows project is to finish that, attack the mirrored dresser area (aka the high traffic spot) and vaccuum the whole joint. once i do that - i will post all after shots.

i think the most rewarding part of this day is the amount of work ive done. i know it doesnt sound like much, but you never really know how much junk youve accumulated until you go through a cabinet full of old bills, receipts, day planners, checkbooks, prescriptions, paychecks, etc. takes hours. and my god, i havent seen the underneath of my bed in yeeaass. if i waited to do all this, i would just be dusting, clorox wiping, and vacuuming. trashing everything in my path in the mad rush to get packed up and out. by starting now, i am able to take time to salvage the memories and the truly good stuff. i had a few good laughs today and smiled at some great times. and the feeling of clean is sinking in. the weight is lifting. first project, almost complete. 

No comments:

Post a Comment